☕ Microsoft bets big
A Google Interview Question. Microsoft bets big with OpenAI. Pinterest sees crazy growth due to iOS 14. A new gaming startup raises money.
Good Morning Planet Earth!
Hope you’re all having a fantastic day.
Here’s your interview problem and industry news!
Write a program that solves a Sudoku puzzle by filling in the empty cells.
You’ll be given a 2-D array that represents a Sudoku board. The board will contain only the digits 1 - 9 or empty strings that represent spaces. The board will always be 9x9.
Fill in the empty spaces with integers to generate a valid Sudoku board and return the completed 2-D array.
A valid Sudoku board satisfies…
- Each of the digits 1 - 9 must occur exactly once in each column.
- Each of the digits 1 - 9 must occur exactly once in each row.
- Each of the digits 1 - 9 must occur exactly once in each of the nine 3 x 3 sub-boxes in the grid.
We’ll send out the solution (with working code & test-cases) tomorrow, so make sure you move our emails to primary, so you don’t miss them!
Gmail users—move us to your primary inbox
- On your phone? Hit the 3 dots at top right corner, click "Move to" then "Primary"
- On desktop? Back out of this email then drag and drop this email into the "Primary" tab near the top left of your screen
Apple mail users—tap on our email address at the top of this email (next to "From:" on mobile) and click “Add to VIPs”
- Pinterest breaks daily download record due to…. iOS 14 - With the launch of iOS 14, there’s been a massive excitement around the ability to customize your iPhone’s home screen. This is just one of the many new features in the new version of iOS, that has made it very popular (we talked about this in one of our last issues!).Many iPhone users are now using Pinterest for design inspiration like photos for custom app icons or wallpapers. This has led to Pinterest’s app seeing a record global daily number of downloads and a rapid climb up the App Store’s Top Charts. According to Apptopia, Pinterest saw approximately 616,000 downloads on September 21st.
- Manticore raises $15 million dollars in funding from Epic Games - Manticore is a new gaming startup that allows users to build high-resolution multi-player desktop games. According to CEO Frederic Descamps, “It’s a new type of platform where you have players congregating to create worlds together, to create a new form of entertainment”.It’s similar in some respects to Minecraft or Roblox, but Manticore is targeting an older audience. It’s positioning itself as a place to build games for teens and adults and wants its creators to utilize revenue-sharing deals, similar to what Roblox uses.The company has raised $45 million since launching in 2017, so looks like they certainly have a nice runway to implement their vision!
As a reminder, here’s the previous question
Given an integer, write a function to determine if the integer is a power of two.
Try to do this in O(1) time.
This is one of those questions where you either know it, or you don’t.
If you know how Bit Manipulation works, then this question is pretty trivial.
If you don’t, then you should learn how Bit Manipulation works!
Here’s the best video I’ve seen that explains the core of Bit Manipulation.
The video also goes over this question!
The question can be solved with this expression
n & (n - 1) == 0 # if this is true, then n is a power of 2
However, this expression fails in one case.
Can you identify it?
Once you figure it out, check out our solution.
Thanks for reading this edition of the Quastor Daily Interview Problem.
If you have any friends who will enjoy this, please share it with them! It really helps us out.